Wednesday 19 October 2011

FAT EYES

Usually when I'm at a party and it goes on until the morning, I will almost certainly play either or both of these. They haven't left my record bag ever since I got them some years ago, when I was going through a dancehall phase. Don't play much dancehall these days, but I'm sure I'll come back to it at some point.

Anyway,  I still play these instrumentals which are KILLER tracks! I've never had a crowd go wild to them or anything like that, but they are definitely NICE TO LISTEN TO, and I'm almost always approached by some guy with dreadlocks and wearing spectacles asking me who its by.

When I tell them, they go away nodding their head and then I don't see them for the rest of the party. Its magical.

But the main problem is - I don't know anything about these tracks. As far as I can tell they are only available on the Dynamite Style dancehall compilations released by those lovely folk from Soul Jazz. And the tracklisting says they are by FAT EYES.

But I can't find Fat Eyes anywhere. After a bit of diggin I came to the conclusion that Fat Eyes is a LABEL. So who was responsible for these tracks? Its still a mystery to me.

If anyone knows, then please tell me. Because I want MORE.

Wake the Town - this one starts off with a great fanfare, which can make a nice scratching intro. Theres an almost 'Percolator' wobble rhythm throughout, and the bassline is a deep slow rumble. The production on this is lush and borrows so much from classic dancehall. My friend Selina calls this 'the Commando track' and when I would put it on she would rampage slowly through her imaginary jungle (aka our living room).







Assault Rifle - a bit more up-tempo than the last one with really yummy percussion. Not much to say apart from the intro sounds very similer to that used in Moby's 'Go!' and I like it.



UPDATE - On posting a link to the discog pages I noticed that Fat Eyes appear on yet MORE Soul Jazz compilations....... only recently released! I will be investigating them most closely.

Buy Fat Eyes here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Fat+Eyes



No comments:

Post a Comment